Town hall

Town Hall

Town Hall Chemnitz

Chemnitz’s Town Hall consists of the Old Town Hall and the New Town Hall, which was added on to it at a later date. For this reason, it is referred to as a double town hall.

The Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus) was built at the end of the 15th century and has been redesigned numerous times over the centuries. At the base of the building’s tower is a striking Renaissance portal with half-figures depicting Judith and Lucretia.

The New Town Hall (Neues Rathaus) was built at the beginning of the 20th century according to plans by the city’s official architect Richard Möbius. It ties in perfectly with the Old Town Hall. Since 1978, the carillon has been housed in the tower of the New Town Hall. The façade of the New Town Hall is adorned with the city’s coat of arms and a 5-metre-high statue of Roland. The building’s interior is primarily characterised by the Art Nouveau style, with Max Klinger’s famous mural Arbeit-Wohlstand-Schönheit (“Labour-Prosperity-Beauty”; 1918) displayed inside the city council chamber.

The High Tower (Hoher Turm) has its origins in the 12th century and once served as a fortified residence for the Vogt in charge of the city. Since the 14th century, the High Tower has been part of the Old Town Hall. The tower’s octagonal baroque roof was completed in 1986, restoring the tower to its appearance in 1746. Today, the High Tower offers a one-of-a-kind view for visitors taking the popular tour of the Town Hall and Tower.

Virtual Tour

Virtual Tour

Town Hall and Tower tours

Tours of the Town Hall and Tower are provided by the Chemnitz tourist information office.

Contact:
Chemnitz Tourist Information Office
Telephone: +49 (0)371 690 680
Email: info@chemnitz-tourismus.de