Twin city since 1988
Photo: city of Wolgograd
Volgograd is situated 1075 kilometres south-east of Moscow on the right bank of the Volga, about 400 kilometres north of the river’s mouth into the Caspian Sea. The city stretches over 100 kilometres along the banks of the Volga and is up to 10 kilometres wide at some points.
The city’s eventful history is reflected in its changing name. It was called Tsaritsyn until 1925 and then Stalingrad until 1961. From August 1942 to February 1943, one of the largest and bloodiest battles of the Second World War took place here; it became a turning point in the war.
Today, Volgograd is an up-and-coming metropolis and one of southern Russia’s major industrial centres. Important industrial sectors include metallurgy, mechanical and automotive engineering, and the chemical and oil industries. In addition, a large hydroelectric power station is also located to the north of the city. The new bridge over the Volga is one of the longest bridges in Europe at 7.1 kilometres long, 32 metres wide and with 6 lanes.
The city’s cultural life is varied. Probably the most interesting museum is the Panorama Museum of the Battle of Stalingrad. The monument to the heroes of the Battle of Stalingrad on the summit of Mamayev is enormous. The massive statue “The Motherland Calls” is world-famous. At 52 metres high, it is the largest free-standing statue in the world.
The active collaboration between Chemnitz and Volgograd encompasses almost every area of social life. Links are especially intense in sport, culture and between the municipal offices. In 2008, Chemnitz University of Technology and Volgograd State University signed a cooperation agreement. Both cities are making intensive efforts to open up the partnership to support business contacts.