Sights, Sites & Scenes

The Red Tower

The Red Tower

The Red Tower is the oldest preserved landmark of the city of Chemnitz.

It was built around the end of the 12th century. At first it was used as a residential tower and for self-fortification, later it was part of the city fortification.

The name of the tower is owed to the red paint of the brick storey built in the middle of the 16th century and its former red roofing with tiles.

Up until about 1900, the tower and its annex were used as a prison. The Red Tower turned this function around in the early 19th century before its demolition to become part of the expanding city defences of Chemnitz.

The Red Tower was burnt down by bombings on Chemnitz towards the end of the Second World War. Its reconstruction took place between 1957 and 1959.

 

quick links:


calendar of events

Mo
Di
Mi
Do
Fr
Sa
So
4 Wochen anzeigenKalender - Wochenansicht und Monatsansicht umschalten